[usPropHeader] Error loading user control: The file '/CMSWebParts/WK.HLRP/LNC/LNCProductHeader.ascx' does not exist.

Article Content

The FDA warns consumers not to drink Miracle Mineral Solution and other sodium chlorite products. These products are being promoted as treatment for a wide range of conditions, including influenza, HIV-AIDS, cancer, and autism. Consumers are instructed to mix the products with lemon or other citrus juices; however, when sodium chlorite combines with citric acid it becomes chlorine dioxide, a toxic bleach solution. According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), ingestion can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and severe dehydration. In some cases, these symptoms have led to life-threatening hypotension. There are also reports of acute liver failure. Although the FDA issued a similar warning in 2010, these products continue to be marketed and sold online. Nurses should report any adverse effects related to the use of these products to the FDA's MedWatch program at http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/index.cfm.